Current – 2012
- Victory – A 2900 Acre Rezoning Request to Heavy Industrial Pulled By Landowner Due to Public Pressure. (10/29/2015) - Another Victory for LEAN and The Green Army. Consisting of nearly 3000 acres, the proposed request to rezone the MYU Family LLC “Mayeux Property” on River Rd. in ST. Gabriel from residential(R1) to heavy industrial(M2) has been pulled by the landowner. This area has seen a lot of growth in residential development and the development […]
- Veil of Secrecy Finally Lifted on Taylor Energy’s Decade Long Oil Leak (9/9/2015) - September 3, 2015, New York, NY and New Orleans, LA — Today Waterkeeper Alliance, Apalachicola Riverkeeper, and Louisiana Environmental Action Network, represented by the Tulane Environmental Law Clinic and the National Environmental Law Center, signed a settlement agreement with Taylor Energy. This settlement signals the end of a three-year lawsuit intended to lift the veil […]
- Judge Rules True Extent and Impact of Taylor Energy Oil Spill Can’t be Kept from the Public (5/21/2015) - Federal government and Taylor Energy have tried to keep secret the details of a spill that could bleed oil into the Gulf for a century May 21, 2015, New Orleans, LA and New York, NY — Magistrate Judge Roby has ruled in favor of Apalachicola Riverkeeper, Louisiana Environmental Action Network, and Waterkeeper Alliance, finding that Taylor […]
- The GreenARMY Louisiana Legislative Scorecard 2014 (2/2/2015) - The GreenARMY officially released its Louisiana Legislative Scorecard for the 2014 session today. The GreenARMY scorecard has been developed in an effort to let the public know how State Representatives and Senators voted on environmental interests. The selected bills and amendments represent a wide range of state environmental issues and reflect the environmental voting records […]
- St James Crude Oil Terminal Permit Denied (10/7/2014) - St James Parish Council voted to deny Wolverine Terminal Corporation’s application to construct a crude oil terminal and blending operation in Paulina. Wolverine would have been able to receive shipments of crude oil from other parts of the US and Canada by rail.
- Legal Win For Lake Peigneur (9/24/2014) - Judge Comeaux of the 16th Judicial District Court based in New Iberia reversed the decision of the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources to issue a Coastal Use Permit to Jefferson Island Storage & Hub for its proposal to construct and operate two natural gas storage caverns in the Jefferson Island Salt Dome under Lake Peigneur.
- Lower Mississippi Riverkeeper Featured In The Chronicle Of Philanthropy (5/19/2014) - A full page-and-a-half photo of the Lower Mississippi Riverkeeper crew riding off into the sunset was featured in The Chronicle Of Philanthropy.
- City Council Votes to Move Forward and Relocate Scotlandville Residents (1/25/2013) - A complicated and contentious situation is beginning to be resolved after an 8 – 4 vote yesterday, January 23, 2013, approving a public works project to build a buffer zone around the North Baton Rouge Waste Water Treatment Plant. An article in The Advocate today outlines the meeting:
- Announcing GC-HARMS: UTMB’s Study Of PAH’s In People And Seafood (12/1/2011) - The following is a letter from Dr. Sharon A Croisant from the University of Texas Medical Branch announcing their new study, entitled Gulf Coast Health Alliance; Health Risks Related to the Macando Spill (GC-HARMS), that will help us to have a better understanding of the impacts of petroleum contamination in the Gulf region. It was […]
- LEAN and LMRK’s Biota Sampling Project post BP Oil Spill results in University of Texas Medical Branch announcing their new study, entitled Gulf Coast Health Alliance; Health Risks Related to the Macando Spill (GC-HARMS), that will help us to have a better understanding of the impacts of petroleum contamination in the Gulf region. Read more…
- LEAN’s work and vigilance documenting individuals and their changing health conditions from chemical exposure due to the BP Oil Spill expedited an investigation by the Government Accountability Project. Read the letter of support.
- Pearl River Fish Kill – We were the first responders and our fieldwork resulted in the launch of an investigation by the Louisiana State Senate, Environmental Quality Committee. Read more…
- Victory in the Courts – Louisiana State Court of Appeal ordered the State Department of Environmental Quality to test the environmental impact of discharges from produced waters from oil and gas production activities within Louisiana territorial waters in the Gulf of Mexico – Read the decision
- 2011 Human Rights Award presented to Staff Chemist Wilma Subra
….we working to organize and compile 30 years of work, this section is still under construction, thank you for your patience. Check back soon to see our progress.